8.13.2011

The Help

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


We're off to see the movie version of The Help tonight. I'm rather curious to see it at this point, as I read the book and thought it was actually pretty good, though not as good as all the hullabaloo it seems to be garnering. I mean, Olive Kitteridge was WAY better. (I do notice that I gave it five stars right after I finished it, though.)Is it all just slick marketing that's causing the attention? The "money-people" who see an opportunity to cash in on an eternally sensational subject -- racism and the tyranny of the South pre-civil rights? I'm surprised, honestly, at the (some of it extremely) flattering reviews the movie version has gotten in the LA Times and NY Times.  And of course, stirring in a little controversy, the book received plenty of grumblings from critics of color, on the topic of why a white woman thinks she can write the story -- and the dialect of -- a black woman living in that era (the story unfolds around the time Medgar Evers was assassinated, for those who haven't read the book). Hmm.



View all my reviews

No comments: