1.24.2009

The race is on, yo.

Change

Now that the Obamas are
in the White
House, is it still
White
?

Now that Barack Hussein Obama is the 44th President of the United States, I am listening to an awful lot of chatter about race. Why are we still discussing this matter? This really bothers me. I hear that there is a huge jump in racist death threats against our president. What the fuck, people? As a person who is bi-racial, or multi-racial, or mostly a member of the human race, I for one am tired of this shit. Wanna know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of this ignorant hate. I'm tired of black-versus-white. I'm tired of ignorant assholes who think I'm a white girl like them. I'm tired of getting elbowed in the ribs and I'm especially tired of getting let in on the joke. Wanna know what I think? I hope Obama is the first of 44 consecutive Black Presidents. Here is the beginning of a poem. Change, people, change. I'm done with this shit.

Red, White, and Blue

Red-and-white-and-blue
lights flickered in the dark room,
from the old t.v. set,
and the rhetorical buzz droned on
as we both sat and watched,
each in our own private thoughts.

pickaninnies in the White House
my friend said straightfaced,
and took a swig of her
Natural Light beer
then crushed it with her hand
as she reached for another.

2 comments:

Angelj052@gmail.com said...

Your poem is powerful. It sent chills up and down my spine. One of the big discussions is the race issues is supposed to be settled. No, It isn't.
I ran across a blog this morning when I was surfering Blogspot and ran across my first prejudice blog, it was all about hate.
You can't change other people, you can just change yourswlf.

Michele said...

Thank you, Angel. Glad I didn't scare you away with my rant. It's apalling to me how much hate is still out there, and we're being naive if we don't admit it.